Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Tomatoes and intolerance

Of late, the word ‘Intolerance’ has been making news much more than what we are actually capable of tolerating, which got me to pen down my two pennies worth.

I am fond of tomatoes. I can use them in vegetables, I can eat them raw, I can put them in salad and then I can make some nice ketchup as well. Point I want to prove here is, tomatoes are essential so it does have its flourishing market with a number of suppliers, some of them new, some of them old, who are always collaborating, manipulating, switching groups with each other to stay relevant and afloat in the business. And all of them, yes ‘all of them’ indulge in malpractices as well.

So as a customer, this is the option I have at my disposal. I have a group of suppliers I can approach to, who present the nicely packaged boxes of tomatoes, but inside the box, half of them are actually rotten. This holds true for almost all suppliers with a negligible variance. Personally, if I get into such a situation, I will refuse to purchase the tomatoes, but the last thing I would do is to judge and brand people for the choices they make because barring the names of the brand, the way they promote themselves and people they pool in to advertise, contents they offer is almost identical.

Recently declared Bihar Assembly election results have generated quite a few strange reactions, especially on social media. A quick glance at the stats provided by ADR (Applicable to the people who don’t jump to the conclusions directly, but instead are rational about the things they say) will show, 
when compared to last election, there is an increase of 1% in the number of MLAs with criminal records. Big deal! Is it really so surprising? Aren't we used to it?

So we are saying, people have made wrong choices. Factually speaking, I never have had much of hope from any of the parties. Look closely at the stats and we will find all the parties fielded candidates with criminal records with BJP and CPI topping the list followed by JD, RJD, Congress, SP, BSP, LJP and the rest. So writing is on the wall that what the actual priorities are for these parties despite the tall claims they make during the election campaigns. Rotten tomatoes are rotten, doesn't matter which supplier it comes from. And as voters, we have always been immature in making the choices. But the crude reactions and branding of the whole state is not in good taste and is totally uncalled for. People who are doing this should introspect how easy it has really become to divide people in India. These reactions become even more deplorable when we realize that Governments that are formed are actually being elected by the votes of at max 15-20% people.


So looking for some more varieties of intolerance? Judging people without any rational is intolerance. Branding a whole section with unpleasant words just because they didn't fall in line of your irrational, half-baked and freakish political point of view is intolerance. Such kind of reactions show high level of prevailing immaturity in our society at large and proves how easy it is to rally people. They have been doing it over and over again and we have been falling for it always.

PS: My views would have remained same even if the election results had been other way round and similar reactions had come up from the supporters of other side. For me, hope lies in the healthy tomatoes and not the supplier. As long as we keep on accepting the rotten ones, we will be continued being served the rotten ones only. At the end of the day, life is all about the choices we make..

No comments:

Post a Comment